The Made in Italy DIY (Drink-It-Yourself) Bar
Another week, another drink! We’re keeping our inner cocktail connoisseur satisfied from home through our weekly DIY Bar blogs, where we try out our mixing skills & learn a little in the process. We encourage you to dim the lights, light some candles, and enjoy your homemade cocktails in the exclusive lounge that is your living room!
This sweet, rosy aperitif is made with Prosecco and peach purée or nectar. The Bellini has developed for itself a stylish and refined aura, despite its simple recipe.
History of The Bellini
Venice features again as a cocktail birthplace when it comes to our dreamy Bellini. The cocktail was invented sometime between 1934 and 1948 by the founder of the famous Venetian Harry’s Bar, Giuseppe Cipriani. The drink started as a seasonal specialty at the bar, later becoming a year-round favourite once the fresh white peach puree was made permanently available.
The Bellini’s unique peachy pink colour reminded Cipriani of the toga of a saint in a painting by 15th century Venetian artist Giovanni Bellini, and so the drink was named after it.
Nowadays the Cipriani family produces Bellini base for the signature cocktail of the Harry’s Bar restaurants. It can also be found in pre-made versions in Australian bottle shops, though nothing beats a freshly mixed cocktail.
The Bellini at Home
Create the Bellini at home with a simple & sweet recipe. Try out a hand at making your own peach nectar for a wholesome experience.
- 4 white peaches (can use peach juice)
- 1 part sugar syrup
- 4 parts Martini Rossi Prosecco
- Whip up your peach puree – just peel and blend the peaches, then strain it strain and refrigerate until cold
- Mix 2 parts of peach puree with one part of sugar syrup
- Add about 20ml of the peach puree mix to your Champagne flute, then gently pour Prosecco into the glass. You want to leave the peach puree undisturbed at the bottom of the glass at this stage
- Just before serving, stir to mix the peach and Prosecco well
Made in Italy Meal Pairing
The peachy Bellini is that perfect sweet & sparkly counterpart to any fancy brunch or dinner. It works well with soft and salty dishes, cream-based meals & spicy foods. Why not try a vegan spin on your cocktail night? Start straining your peaches & order in an Arrabbiata pasta and a Vegarita pizza for a plant-based cheesy and chilli combo.
Grazie for reading and as always buon appetito!
* This web page is intended for those only of legal drinking age and in a responsible manner. Nonna Vittoria does not encourage or support irresponsible drinking or promotions of alcohol to those under the legal drinking age.